Events & Classes
Sharpen your photography skills with our
in-house classes, workshops and field trips!
Enjoy hands on, personal training, tips and experiences with some of the top photographers in the world. From shooting to processing, digital to film, basic to advanced, you’ll find great events at Seawood Photo.
Find the newest schedule here, or subscribe to our newsletter to be informed as soon as we schedule new happenings.
Free class with camera purchase!
Seawood Photo offers a free basic 2-hour photo class with any camera purchase, retail value $50.00! See the schedule below, or call us for more details at 415-453-4322.
Adobe Lightroom Essentials
Adobe Lightroom Essentials is a 4-session course for digital photographers to familiarize themselves with some of the important features necessary to “process” and catalog their images.
In the days of film photography, photographers both professionals and serious amateurs found it necessary to either have a darkroom or have access to one to process and develop their own film as well as make enlargements from their negatives or transparencies (slides.) This was how they were able to control the quality and the “look and feel” of their final product. Adobe’s Lightroom program is the modern day equivalent of the wet darkroom. But it is a lot more! It is also a very powerful database management system for cataloging huge collections of images. It is a program that can be used by digital photographers to handle their photographs for the whole life cycle of the image, from their genesis in the camera, through editing and cropping to final output as prints, web sites or to another database for collaborative work.
In this 4-session course we will cover all the essential features of Lighroom, explore its capabilities and functions, and will work through examples and scenarios of how they can be exploited by the modern digital photographers. Each of the 4 sessions will be 2 hours long and will, as much as possible, be independent modules so that you can sign up for only the sessions suited for your needs if you do not want or need to take the whole course.
Each session is $75.00
Attend all 4 sessions and Seawood will give you a FREE $50. Gift Card!
Session 1: Introduction
Saturday July 15th, 2017 – 10:30am-12:30pm
- Lightroom – DAM (Digital Asset Management) and The Digital Darkroom
- Recommended Setup and Preferences Settings
- Workspace Layout and Workflow Recommendations
- Importing images – to Move, Copy or Add.
- Culling and Sorting – Using Flags, Star Ratings and Color Codes
- Using Keywords, Collections, Smart Collections and Collection Sets
Session 2: The Digital Darkroom
Saturday July 15th, 2017 – 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Understanding Image Files Types – RAW, TIFF/PSD, JPG, PNG, DNG
- Understanding Resolution and Pixels and their affect on image quality
- Review of commonly used Color Spaces – sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, CYMK – when to use which and why.
- Lightroom Presets – how and when to use them
- Deep Dive into the Develop Panels
Session 3: Photo Editing
Saturday July 22nd, 2017- 10:30am-12:30pm
- How to read the Histogram
- Setting Exposure – Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks
- When and how to use Curves
- Understanding Color Temperature and how to set proper White Balance
- Setting Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation
- Sharpening and Noise Reduction – How much to apply and when is appropriate to use
- Cropping, Straightening, Lens and Perspective Correction
- Using Localized Edits – Spot healing, Adjustment Brush, Linear graduated and radial filter
- How and when to use Auto-Sync and Bulk Edit
Session 4: Export, Publishing Service and Printing
Saturday July 22nd, 2017- 2:00pm-4:00pm
- 1. Understanding Export Settings
- 2. Using Publishing Service vs Export – what’s the difference
- 3. Printing – fine tuning and ICC profile and Soft-Proofing
- 4. Tether Capture and Plugins
- 5. How to link up Lightroom with Photoshop or other editors
Due to the size of the classroom and computer screen, all sessions will be limited to eight students.
All classes will be held in the Seawood Photo Camera Store studio at 1601 4th Street, San Rafael, CA
Introduction To Digital SLR Class
Saturday, June 17th, 2017. 10:30am-12:30pm
$50. (or FREE with camera purchase)
Join Seawood Photo Instructor Yau-Man Chan for an informative two-hour class on how to use your Digital Single Lens Reflex camera!
In this class you will be introduced to the wonderful features of modern DSLR’s and how these features are best used to create amazing images.
He will teach you to understand them to help you get the most out of your camera.
The following topics will be covered:
1. Pixels, Sensors and Resolution; what they have to do with pictures you get.
2. Images sizes and type – JPEG Large, Medium, Small and RAW and when to use what.
3. Focusing modes – what the different modes does and when to use them.
4. Exposure metering modes and how they affect the exposure of your images.
5. Shooting modes – Auto, P, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and when to use what.
6. Interchangeable lenses – This is one of the prime features that distinguishes DSLR from Point and Shoot Cameras. What are the differences between different lenses – Primes and Zoom and what they are good for.
7. And much more!
Bring your camera, questions and a fully charged battery.